Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What day is it again?


Funny thing happened to me this past Sunday. Call it exhaustion, call it being over eager, but I could have sworn it was Father's day. It didn't help matters that my wife perpetuated this grave misunderstanding, but I really thought I was celebrating my first Father's day. Depending on your level of optimism this can be seen as a plus. I get two Father's days. My wife took me and our 1-month old little girl out to breakfast which was very nice. Hopefully, if I play my cards right I can get another breakfast this Sunday, you know, the actual Father's Day.

Thinking about this made me realize that since our daughter was born (in early May) I hardly know what day it is. I know I have to go to work 5 of the 7 days of the week, but which 5 I can't remember. Take this post for example, I think it's Wednesday...but I could be wrong. All of my days sort of blend together separated by minor excursions and brief blocks of sleep.

Oddly enough, as embarrassing as it is to say that we celebrated dad's day early and that all my days are blending together I -in no way- regret anything. My little girl has taken over our house, but each day I go home and I love her a little more. Spending time with her and my wife means more to me now than making sure I'm not late for work or we celebrate some silly holiday.

It's funny how quickly your priorities shift. One day we're sitting on the couch watching some random show on the Food Network, and the next we're changing diapers, reading kids books, singing lullabies, and taking thousands of pictures. It's all very exhausting, but all very worth it. It's much harder than I expected, I think, I can't really remember what I was expecting.

There's no point to complain about the lack of sleep or the hard work. This little girl needs us to be on our game so regardless of how we feel, we just have to 'do'. It's an amazing experience and hopefully I don't take it for granted because I know it won't last long.

Just don't ask me if I want another one yet, the jury is still out on that one!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your blog! And I hate to break it to you, it doesn't get any better. Just a different kind of hard work. But it is all worth it! Just wait till she tells you she loves you for the first time. Your heart will melt!

4 Lettre Words said...

Love this post...and a belated congratulations!

CraftGirlAlli said...

The lack of sleep will pay off someday! My little boy is 2 years old...but he seems so grown up! And I still don't think we are ready for another just yet! Have you ever heard the song "It won't be like this for long" by Darius Rucker? It's a great "daddy" song. Makes me cry every time i hear it, because it's totally true!